Modernizing Information Technology Systems in State Agencies
WHEREAS, modernizing the interactions between the State and the public through technology has the potential to streamline services, improve the accessibility of government programs, and reduce administrative costs. Public expectations of online transactions, personalized interaction, and self-service have increased with technological innovation; and
WHEREAS, over 100 State agencies maintain more than 1,600 information technology systems across 750 programs serving more than ten million individuals and organizations. These systems contain in excess of four petabytes of data that may be used to better inform State policy, improve customer service, and improve operational efficiency; and
WHEREAS, pursuant to Revised Code Section 125.32, State agencies may gather, combine, and analyze data provided by one or more agencies to measure program outcomes, develop policies to promote the effective, efficient, and best use of State resources, and to identify, prevent, or eliminate the fraudulent use of State funds, resources, or programs. Notwithstanding any other provision of the Revised Code, a State agency's provision of data under the program is considered a permitted use of the data under the Revised Code and the State agency is not in violation of any contrary provision of the Revised Code by providing the data; and
WHEREAS, State agencies have responsibilities to protect the security and privacy of individuals and entities whose information resides in State systems commensurate with applicable laws and regulations; and
WHEREAS, InnovateOhio exists to make State government a more effective and efficient leader in using technology to improve customer service and save tax dollars and to make Ohio a state that attracts talent, business, and new investment;
NOW THEREFORE, I, Mike DeWine, Governor of the State of Ohio, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of this State do hereby order and direct that:
- The InnovateOhio Platform is hereby established to make State government a more effective and efficient leader in using technology to improve customer service and save tax dollars by:
- Providing a common and standard digital platform promoting mobility and accessibility for the benefit of State agencies and programs;
- Providing a definitive digital identity across State agencies and programs promoting security, privacy, and compliance with applicable standards; and
- Facilitating secure data sharing and analytics across State agencies and programs to better serve the public.
- At the direction of the Lieutenant Governor, InnovateOhio Director or their designees and the State Chief Information Officer, Cabinet Agencies, Boards and Commissions will migrate websites, online portals, and other points of online interaction to the InnovateOhio Platform.
- At the direction of the Lieutenant Governor, InnovateOhio Director or their designees and the State Chief Information Officer and pursuant to Revised Code Section 125.32, Cabinet Agencies, Boards and Commissions will make data available to the InnovateOhio Platform for resilient data storage, reporting, analytics and data sharing.
- In the event that Federal law, regulation, or policy may prohibit the sharing of data despite State law, the Director of the agency from which the data was requested must provide to InnovateOhio, in writing within thirty (30) days:
- Identification of the law, regulation, or policy and governing authority inhibiting or potentially inhibiting data sharing; and
- If applicable, any request for approval to share data made to governing authorities and anticipated timelines for submission.
- Not later than March 31, 2020, all Cabinet Agencies, Boards and Commissions will migrate information technology systems to the State’s cloud environment managed by the Department of Administrative Services Office of Information Technology.
I signed this Executive Order on April 29, 2019 in Columbus, Ohio and it will not expire unless it is rescinded.
Mike DeWine, Governor
Frank LaRose, Secretary of State