(COLUMBUS, Ohio)—Ohio Governor Mike DeWine today announced a new task force to develop and recommend a long-term vision for the Ohio Expo Center, an event venue in Columbus that is home to the Ohio State Fair, as well as nearby attractions including the Ohio History Connection and the current Mapfre Stadium.
“At the Ohio State Fair and other events that occur here, there are countless ways to have fun. We need to find ways to keep that excitement going all year long,” Governor DeWine said. “Today, I am announcing the formation of a task force, called ‘Expo 2050,’ to take stock of all of the great things going on at the Ohio Expo Center, as well as the Ohio History Connection and Mapfre Stadium, and to develop a strategic vision for the entire area.”
Governor DeWine made the announcement today during a meeting of the Ohio Expositions Commission.
Expo 2050 is tasked with reviewing the Expo experience, including the assets and activities of the Ohio Expo Center, the Ohio History Connection, and Mapfre Stadium, and developing ideas for getting the most use and enjoyment out of this state land in the future.
As part of the process, Governor DeWine asked task force members to attend the Ohio State Fair (which runs from July 24 to Aug. 4), attend a Crew game at Mapfre Stadium, tour the Ohio History Connection, and attend the All American Quarter Horse Congress at the Ohio Expo Center (Oct. 1-27).
Expo 2050 will be co-chaired by Mike Curtin, former state representative and newspaper editor, and by Lydia Mihalik, director of the Ohio Development Services Agency.
The task force members include:
- Mike Curtin, Former State Representative, Ohio’s 17th House District (co-chair)
- Lydia Mihalik, Director, Ohio Developmental Services Agency (co-chair)
- Alissa Belna-Muhlenkamp, Junior Fair Board Coordinator, Ohio State Fair
- Hearcel F. Craig, State Senator, Ohio’s 15th Senate District
- Andy Doehrel, Chairman, Ohio Expositions Commission
- Sandy Doyle-Ahern, President, EMH&T
- Col. Richard Fambro, Superintendent, Ohio State Highway Patrol
- Shannon Hardin, President, Columbus City Council
- Elizabeth Harsh, Executive Director, Ohio Cattlemen's Association
- Burt Logan, Executive Director & CEO, Ohio History Connection
- Robert Lorimer, President, The Arnold Sports Festival
- Mary Mertz, Director, Ohio Department of Natural Resources
- Curt Moody, CEO, Moody Nolan
- Keith Myers, Vice President of Planning, Architecture, and Real Estate, Ohio State University
- Dr. Scott Myers, CEO, All American Quarter Horse Congress
- Dorothy Pelanda, Director, Ohio Department of Agriculture
- Bob Peterson, State Senator, Ohio’s 17th Senate District
- John Rogers, State Representative, Ohio’s 60th House District
- Virgil Strickler, General Manager, Ohio Exposition Center & State Fair
- Paul Zeltwanger, State Representative, Ohio’s 54th House District